Our New Year’s Eve party planning is in full swing! Want a sneak peek? Here is the recipe for our decadent New Year’s Eve soup:
Leek and Brie Cream Soup
2 cups chopped leeks (white and tender green portions)
3/4 cups chopped celery
1 tablespoon chopped shallots
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon clarified butter
1/2 cup vermouth
2 cups peeled, cubed new potatoes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
White pepper to taste
6 cups chicken stock
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup cubed brie (rind removed)
1/2 cup lightly packed, stemmed spinach
Sour cream and milk for garnish
Cinnamon basil for garnish
1. In large saucepan, saute leeks, celery, shallots, and garlic in clarified butter until soft.
2. Add vermouth. Boil gently until reduced by half
3. Add new potatoes, thyme, white pepper to taste, chicken stock and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Add Brie 1 cube at a time, whisking until blended after each addition.
4. Boil gently for 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
5. Pour 1/3 of the soup into blender container. Add 1/3 of the spinach. Puree until smooth. Repeat with the remaining soup and spinach in 2 batches.
6. Ladle into serving bowls. Garnish with swirls of sour cream thinned to a drizzling consistency with a little milk.
7. Trim plates with sprigs of cinnamon basil.
Yields 6 to 8 servings.